Physician Trainer/Educator Job Description
Physician Trainer and Educator
Location: Sub-Saharan Africa
Program Area: Health Care
Partner: Global Health Service Corps
Projected Start Date: Deployments Summer 2013
Duration: One year
Description: Global Health Service Partnership Peace Corps Volunteers (GHSP PCVs) are needed to serve as physician trainers and educators at institutions and affiliated health facilities in Sub-Saharan Africa. In coordination with host country faculty, GHSP PCVs will primarily function as supervising academic educators/trainers/providers within institutional settings. The goal of this initiative is to address the critical shortage of doctors by working in close collaboration with the Ministries of Health, Ministries of Education and identified educational/health institutions to increase capacity and strengthen the quality and sustainability of physician education and clinical practice. Potential specialty areas include: general adult care, critical care, trauma, infectious and NCD, chronic care management, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, mental health, and emergency medicine.
The main objective of the GHSP PCVs will be to promote and encourage a continuous culture of excellence, responsibility, and accountability in the delivery of health care. GHSP PCVs will formally and informally teach students, house staff and other learners best practice standards through daily rounds on patients and separate regularly scheduled didactic sessions (e.g. Grand Rounds, Morbidity and Mortality conferences). GHSP PCVs will role-model sound clinical diagnostic and therapeutic bedside practice, professional and ethical behavior in all aspects of health care delivery with patients and staff alike. GHSP PCVs will evaluate and provide routine feedback to students and trainees assigned by host country faculty. GHSP PCVs will enhance existing clinical training systems and structures through the development and implementation of innovative teaching tools in partnership with host country faculty. When applicable, GHSP PCVs will assist in the creation and implementation of clinical guidelines and/or treatment protocols and organize continuing education programs with host country faculty.
- Training in one of seven core disciplines (Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Anesthesia, General Surgery, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Psychiatry or Family Medicine)
- Board eligible or board certified in one of the above specialties
- *Active license in the United States
- Excellent organizational, communication and writing skills
- Experience providing culturally sensitive and competent high quality care
- Successful candidates will possess the personal maturity and emotional intelligence to be able to manage working under challenging clinical circumstances.
*Note: Applicants will be required to meet licensing criteria and obtain appropriate clinical licenses in the host country.
- Experience in a faculty, teaching or mentoring position in a classroom/clinical setting
- Previous experience working in a developing or resource-limited setting